Indian outbound FDI reached a $43.9 bln mark in 2011 till March 2011. This includes the Q2 purchase of
Airtel Africa (Zain ) in 2010 in 15 African countries. It also includes the $3 bln and more purchases of Shale by Reliance across Pioneer, Atlas and other shale owners in the Marcelus and other shale areas in the USA.
FT reports the Sahara acquisition of Grosvenor House as the landmark UK investment while M&M snapped up the SSangyong SUV business in Korea for pennies in 2010-11 less than half a bln, rumored to be headed for Saab from Spykar this year M&M scraped its ventures with Ford (earliest) and Nissan – Renault ( 2008) as it still produces the M&M Verito on production lines set up to produce Logan and Nissan’s India car to be designed by them.
Liquor baron, MP and Force India owner meanwhile is embattled in a fight for the survival of Kingfisher Airlines and Tata consolidating its JLR and Corus steel purchases from more than 3 years ago. Indian Financial services business never reached the required scale overseas either but carries a book of more than INR 8 Tln or $ 160 bln in SBI and $3 Tln or $60 bln in ICICI Bank following on the heels of Chinese and US Top 4 with over $225 bln in assets each
- India Earnings Season: More Enterprise without profit (Nov 10) (awardz.wordpress.com)
- Asia originates most FDI for China | Advantage China (advantages.us)
- Healthcare remains free – 100% FDI (awardz.wordpress.com)
- Food and Fertiliser Subsidies, No FDI, Oil bill and state elections (awardz.wordpress.com)
- This week’s investment banking buzz and inspiration | Advantage Dealbook (advantages.us)